You’d think no one would buy hoverboards anymore, given the stories of exploding batteries that have burned peoples entire houses down. Apparently no one told the owner of this hoverboard, who brought to the West Park Mall in Cape Girardeau, Missouri.
Once it started smoking, things went sideways for almost two minutes, despite people’s efforts to kill the thing with fire extinguishers:
So why does the darn thing keep exploding, even after being extinguished? Well, this isn’t like a burning piece of paper, where once you smother the flame it’s gone because paper is inert. The problem is that this is a lithium-ion battery, which by nature store a tremendous amount of energy.